One of my new hero’s in the world is Jordan B Peterson. I’ve been following his work since he emerged to fight the anti-discrimination legislation that was being put forth (and has since been passed into law) in Canada. He recently made a video on what conservatives can do to improve their political being. You can watch the full video here (it gets interesting at about the 18 minute mark).
So without further delay, here is his guiding principle and his 12 ideas for conservatives.
Guiding principle: Don’t be afraid to be a conservative
- Western civilisation is valid.
- Value the nobility of the individual
- If peace is greater than war we must sacrifice some individuality and embrace social norms if we are to live peacefully
- Just hierarchies of competence are better than arbitrary equity
- Borders and boundaries are reasonable
- There are limits to immigration
- Wages and power based on merit
- Citizens have the right to benefit from their own honest labour
- More noble to teach people about responsibilities than about rights
- Radical change should be viewed with suspicion
- Government should leave people to their own devices
- Compare our society to empirical evidence, not idealistic utopias